November 17, 2020 7:00 pm / 8:30 pm
RSVP at http://bit.ly/ParkEquityNow
New research about the relationship between parks and life expectancy reveals that increasing park acreage in areas that face park deficits and lack trees could lead to significant population-level increases in life expectancy. It also shows that targeted investments in park infrastructure would significantly benefit the health of Latino and Black community members.
In this webinar series, you’ll hear from the UCLA professor who conducted the research and representatives of community-based organizations that will use its results to push for park equity. The project was based in Los Angeles County, but it provides insights for cities across the country.
Webinar One: Park Equity and Life Expectancy Research Findings
Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Pacific Time
Learn about the life expectancy predictive model research process, methodology, findings, and possible replication. Register here.
- Manal J. Aboelata, Deputy Executive Director, Prevention Institute
- Dr. Richard J. Jackson, Professor Emeritus, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences
- Dr. Michael Jerrett, Professor, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences
- Elva Yañez, Health Equity Director, Prevention Institute
Webinar Two: Park Equity Policy and Advocacy
Thursday, December 10, 2020, 11:30 AM- 1:00 PM Pacific Time
Learn more about policy, advocacy, and power building for park equity. Register here.
- This webinar will feature speakers from the LA County community-based organizations that served on the community advisory board for this project. More information coming soon.
Webinar series sponsors